Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Birthday!!!

What an amazing 36 hours this has been. Let me back up and start at the beginning.

Kc and I got to the hospital early Wednesday morning. I was already contracting on my own and 3 cm dilated. Our Dr. broke my water at 8:00 a.m. and started some pitocin to get my contractions a bit stronger. Boy were they strong! I gave in at around 10:00 a.m. and had an epidural. By 1:30 p.m. I was 10 cm dilated and began to push. Needless to say, after over three hours of pushing (with several breaks in between) the Dr. had to use a vacuum to help pull Noah out. He was born at 5:59 p.m. He was 8 pounds 4 ounces and 20 inches long.

My first reaction was one of utter disbelief. Noah was finally here! I looked down at my beautiful son and thanked God for our miracle. The first sign that something was not right was Noah's lack of crying. Very quickly he was surrounded by two nurses, a pediatrician and a NICU doctor. Everyone kept telling us that his color was good and he was breathing on his own - he just couldn't cry. He was wrapped up like a little burrito and his Daddy brought him to me. I was finally holding my son. What an amazing feeling. I felt a blanket of love wrap around the three of us.


About an hour later, our pediatrician came in to check on Noah (after his first bath which he DID NOT like). He did a very thorough exam and expalined to us that there were several things he was concerned about. Noah's trachea is very narrow (that explains his inability to cry) and he was having difficulty breathing. He also has an imperforate anus. Noah's right eye was fused shut and the pediatrician was unable to determine if there was an eyeball under the skin. He recommended that we transfer Noah to Valley Children's Hospital as soon as possible.

At 2:00 a.m., Noah had his first car ride - and what a ride it was. He was transported to Children's Hospital in an ambulance. Some day we will tell him stories of when he rode in an ambulance and he will be disappointed that he was too young to remember. Kc followed Noah to the hospital while I stayed in recovery. Noah was immediately seen by several physicians at Children's Hopsital. What a blessing to have such an amazing facility only a few miles away!

After an incredibly long night, Kc came back to the recovery room and filled me in on what was going on. My Dr. discharged me at around 10:00 a.m. so that we could both head over to Children's Hospital. We were met there by both sets of grandparents and our pastors and friends. We were able to pray before we went into the NICU to spend time with our son.

Noah is undergoing his first surgery tonight - a colostomy. He will have a colostomy bag attached to his abdomen for several months which will allow him to have bowel movements. After coming home for a nap and some dinner, Kc and I will head back to Children's Hospital this evening to see Noah and get more information from the doctors who saw him today.

Kc, Noah and I are on a journey together. We are learning to walk along this path that God has planned for us, trusting in His infinite love and wisdom. Thank you all, once again, for your kind words and prayers. We couldn't do this without you.

As soon as Kc (who has slept a total of 5 hours in the past three days) wakes up from his nap, we'll post some photos of Noah. Please keep us in your prayers as we spend the next several weeks traveling back and forth to Children's Hospital.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your story. All three of you were in my prayers constantly today. We love you guys and pray God continues to give you strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each night for months we have knelt at Olivia's bedside to say our nightly prayers and we have included Noah. Obviously we will continue to include him - it would be so odd not to after all these months! Tonight Olivia prayed, "Thank you for Noah's safe arrival and for creating him just as you wanted him." Kc is not to return to work until he is ready; we've got his desk covered. ~:) Jane & Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Sweet Baby and Welcome! As always our prayers are with you all. Sending our love and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Noah! You are just so beautiful...well handsome! I will continue to pray for you and your mommy and daddy as God leads you down His path. Noah, soon you will understand just how blessed you are to have such an awesome mommy and daddy. God picked them just for you! CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Noah,
    We share a birthday. I was born two years ago on the same day to my Mommy and Daddy. I hope we can meet someday. I bet we will have lot of fun when we do.
    Love,
    Micah Horn
    Ps: My mommy and daddy are praying for you and your mommy and daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sweet Noah,
    I am sure you are quickly learning what a wonderful mommy you have! There is a little girl named Hope that wants to play someday with you! We are praying for you and your mommy and daddy. Stay strong sweet pea!!!
    Love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noah is BEAUTIFUL! I love the cheeks :0) Alyssa

    ReplyDelete

Our Family

Our Family

Daddy & Noah

Daddy & Noah

Kc & Rebecca

Kc & Rebecca

The Counter

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP